Sunday, February 24, 2008

Exciting Fiber News


Here's a scarf I finished last week--made with Crystal Palace Yarn's Taos in a color I don't remember. I used 2 x 2 ribbing and everything would be perfect if only the two skeins had matched... the labels did say they were the same dye lot, and maybe they were, but the second skein had all the colors matched with different ones, so that's why a third of it has slightly different shades. But it makes it interesting I guess, and it is nice and warm (I'm wearing it right now).

Here's Exciting Fiber News #2, a felted bag I finished about a half an hour ago. I used a felting kit I bought at the Madrona Fiber retreat a little over a week ago, and made a piece of felt that I then cut out and sewed together, adding lining. The top and handles are stitched with embroidery floss in blanket stitch. Smaller than I wanted it to be... but isn't it adorable?!


.... And here's the last exciting news: my brand new Little Gem!! I bought her used from NW Handspun yarns in Bellingham on Wednesday, and my new wheel named Emma Jane, joins a little antique saxony, Summer. Although I'm keeping my antique wheel... I probably won't be using her much. The Little Gem is so much better... I can actually spin without the drive band coming off every two minutes!! And... she's so portable, with her own little carrying case, that I can't wait to bring her somewhere. Unlike my antique, which gets beat up every time. Yay! So far I've spun and plied some 50/50 Jacob/Alpaca blend that I got for a door prize at Madrona (more exciting news!), and it's quite nice. I'm going to spin and dye four different colors, two shades of blue and two of green, and knit either socks or fingerless gloves; I'm using the intarsia in the round technique I learned in my Art Socks class from Sue Ewens. It was so much fun and I'll get to try it out!

Monday, February 11, 2008

Dyeing with Madrona...

On Saturday I dyed with some Madrona I collected in October for my Level 1 Master Spinner's requirements. I ended up soaking the bark for a week before I dyed and the yarn for two days because I kept having to postpone my dyeing because I realized I had to do this or get that... but finally I got around to it and here are my results:

Here's the yarn for my class, it's a Shetland worsted weight that was kind of a creamy heather before it was dyed. From left to right I used no mordant, iron, alum, and alum & iron. I think I may have used too much iron... (1/4 tea.), but maybe its supposed to have turned gray, I don't know.




Here's some yarn I dyed from my stash, just because I wanted to dye something else. The top one I spun woolen on my little antique saxony with no mordant, and the bottom is some commercial alpaca from a local alpaca farm my cousin gave me a while ago(alum & iron). I was SO disappointed that it ended up gray instead of the dark brown that I expected... but I guess the gray is nice on its own.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Yay

Here's the hat I just finished for my friend Emily. I used Knitpicks Swish Superwash Worsted in Deep Ocean, Capri, and Baby blue and sort of based it on the hat "basic cable" from Stitch n' Bitch Nation, except that I added earflaps, the edging, and pompoms and changed the gauge and decreases. When I first knit it I decreased way to fast and ended up having to rip most of them out. The second time was successful though, even though I didn't calculate the decreases and just guessed. Emily loved it, so I'm happy, except that one of the mini pompoms already came off and fell apart so I have to make a new one. Oh well...
Fiber Arts Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |